Words: Chris Arnsby
Move
Any Mountain is a great single. This is three minutes of a bunch of blokes
doing their best but being offered no support. It’s as if Stanley Appel expects
the viewer to be so impressed by a live vocal that no other work is required.
It’s like offering someone a cake and dumping eggs, flour, milk, and sugar on
the table. Additional work is required.
[4]
C&C MUSIC FACTORY Featuring F. WILLIAM0S: THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMM… Promo VT and charts from [40]
to [2].
[14]
DANNII MINOGUE: JUMP TO THE BEAT. Oh. Here’s all the dry ice and panning camera shots and fast
cutting and handheld camera shots. I didn’t realise it was rationed to one
performance only.
[8]
EXTREME: MORE THAN WORDS. Promo VT.
[7]
OMD: PANDORA’S BOX. During the instrumental, Andy McCluskey dances over to awkwardly
fist-bump the keyboard player. He fist-bumps too hard and knocks the keyboard
player’s elbow back just at the point a handheld camera operator moved in for a
close up of the keyboard. The result, an ugly picture judder as the elbow makes
contact with the camera.
[10]
CHER: LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING. This was pre-recorded over a month ago during the studio session
for the 20/06/1991 show. Cher is on the same stage as the one used by Bette
Midler when she performed From A Distance. The Stonehenge stage when it was
decorated with all the disco balls in the world.
Commenter
mumu03 pointed this out to me and also noted that Cher recorded a
performance of her follow up single Save Up All Your Tears on the same day.
This went unused. Maybe because Top of the Pops had entered the Year
Zero era by the time the single was released in October 1991. It would have been
too obvious it was old footage. The performance finally leaked out on a January
1999 edition of TOTP2. You can see a bit of it here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMX0vXSYL0w Cher is wearing the same
light dress over a dark top.
[26]
FRANKIE KNUCKLES: THE WHISTLE SONG. That’s a flute, not a whistle. Oh I see, the whistle comes in
later for all of 30 seconds while the flute player has a rest. This should have
been called The Flute Song.
BREAKERS
[34]
DEACON BLUE: TWIST AND SHOUT
[33]
SEAL: THE BEGINNING
[30] BOMB THE BASS: WINTER IN JULY
[1]
BRYAN ADAMS: EVERYTHING I DO (I DO IT FOR YOU). BBC VT. A repeat of the
studio/VT footage from 11/07/1991.
[29]
MORRISSEY: PREGNANT FOR THE LAST TIME: Promo VT. Simon Mayo next week.
Whatever
went wrong with The Shamen’s performance last week has been mostly corrected
here. The direction is less leaden. The studio looks more atmospheric.
Generally speaking it’s all just a bit more fun.
I
can’t put my finger on it but there’s something about Stanley Appel’s directing
style that is not gelling for me. Maybe it’s the shot composition. It just
seems a little off. At times it seems less like I’m watching a performance and
more a random selection of shots.
Why
is Right Said Fred’s guitarist also doubling up as the keyboard player? Did the
real keyboard player go to the wrong studio?
[26]
DJ JAZZY JEFF & FRESH PRINCE: SUMMERTIME. Promo VT and charts from [40]
to [2].
[24]
VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE: MONSTERS AND ANGELS. This is better. I think Stanley Appel is using
more close ups than he did for Right Said Fred. I wonder if Right Said Fred
just kept moving around to much for close ups, and that’s why we got a series
of slightly duller mid shots for `I’m Too Sexy`.
Obviously
I’m going to obsess over tiny mistakes made in the heat of the moment. On the
line “I'm nobody's company” Check out the way Vision Mixer Dinah Long briefly
cuts to a picture of the drummer, before rapidly cutting away to a profile shot
of the singers. Somebody pressed the wrong button!
Check
out how lead singer Tracey Bryn satirises the whole of Top of the Pops
by holding her guitar the wrong way round. No wonder they had to do a year zero
after that mockery. Or maybe she’s showing off that Morrissey appears to have
signed it? These days I assume she’d want to keep quiet about that.
[15]
DEACON BLUE: TWIST AND SHOUT. Once again I find myself with nothing much to say about Deacon
Blue. Maybe they could try getting their accordion signed by Right Said Fred?
Oh
hang on. One of the guitarists has been inspired by Voice of the Beehive and is
also doing a satire. He’s let go of the neck of his guitar so it points to the
floor but he’s still pretending to play it. Take that, the musical-television
complex!
[24]
COLOR ME BADD: ALL 4 LOVE. Stanley Appel has gradually moved back to the old way of
recording introductions, with the host standing in the foreground and the group
in the background. This has the advantage for me of making pre-recorded
performances easier to spot. Here’s one and judging by the rotating lights
hidden behind the wings of the main stage it was recorded last week because
there’s a similar effect going on behind The Shamen.
[25]
MORRISSEY: PREGNANT FOR THE LAST TIME. This seems like a studio performance heavy show. It isn’t but
it’s got an unusual structure. We’d normally have another video as song four,
and then some Breakers. Instead we get the standard video and charts in slot
two and then four back to back studio performances.
[14]
BOMB THE BASS: WINTER IN JULY. Make that five back to back studio performances. This is probably
a pre-record but I can’t work out when it would have been put to tape.
There
is some cracking camera work on display here which stops me using my (old and
cliched) joke that Stanley Appel couldn’t even direct traffic. Check out the
lovely slow full 360 degree handheld panning shot around Loretta Heywood. Then
on the synth break, when one of Bomb The Bass goes to noodle on the enormous
bank of controls, there’s another brilliant shot . The handheld camera operator
moves in to capture a picture of the hands of the keyboard players with the
audience dancing in the background.
Having
said I’m not a fan of Stanley Appels’ directing style, I’m beginning to wonder
if he’s more comfortable with slower songs. The direction on everything except
I’m Too Sexy (and Move Any Mountain last week) is pretty good. Maybe he goes to
pieces with faster paced stuff.
Oh,
you’re going to leave the Breakers here at the end of the programme are you?
Okay.
BREAKERS
[38]
BEVERLEY CRAVEN: HOLDING ON
[36]
MARILLION: NO ONE CAN
[35]
DE LA SOUL: A ROLLER SKATING JAM NAMED ‘SATURDAYS’
[33]
YOUNG DISCIPLES: APPARENTLY NOTHIN’
[1] BRYAN ADAMS: EVERYTHING I DO (I DO IT FOR YOU). One last chance to see the Promo VT because obviously this isn’t going to be Number One next week. (John- Thank ####! Bells, whistles, trumpets herald across the kingdom. Because even Maid Marion was tired of this serenade by now and had moved to a different tree)
[28]
SEAL: THE BEGINNING. Promo VT. Nicky Campbell hosts next week. And check out the Radio
1 Roadshow in Weston Super Mare, Minehead, Ilfracombe, Bude, and Newquay.
.jpg)






No comments:
Post a Comment