I wanted to recommend two artists whose work now features prominently
in my house which I’ve recently been having redecorated room by room. One of
the aspects I really wanted to freshen up were the wall hanging pictures.
Previously there was an assortment of various images of different vintages
whereas I wanted to have something more in line with the new furnishings. And
that’s how I found two artists whose work I think is excellent and wanted to do
a little to promote it in case you, too, were pondering over what art to put on
your walls.
Basia Asztabska is a professional
photographer and graphic designer trading under the name Basz Designs. I found some
of her prints by chance in Brighton back in 2023. If you’ve been there, you’ll
know The Lanes, narrow streets full of artisan shops selling all sorts of
things; there’s even a shop dealing in medieval weapons! I found a shop called
the Stanley Road Department Store. The place is filled with posters, prints and
books. As far as I know this is the only retail unit where you can buy Basz
Design stuff though the full range is available on the website (address below).
The first time I was leafing through boxes filled with prints,
her works stood out for me being like nothing I’d really seen before. Mixing photographs
with shapes- often circular- creates what seems like an elemental design.
Colours you might not put together seem to make sense in these works. They come
in various sizes from A4, A3 and even larger. While some of the posters do
picture Brighton landmarks most are taken in locations around the world and
blended together.
On the website of her company Basz Designs she describes
her work as being “inspired by travel, nature, space, and contrast” and aims to
“bring a sense of calm, feeling, and character into your home” They definitely do
bring character and also a sense of space. She also says: “Combining my love
for traveling and photography, I draw inspiration from various landscapes and
moments captured through my lens. These experiences fuel my designs, in
addition of contrasting geometric shapes ( I am especially fond of circles),
clean lines, and a minimalistic aesthetic.” And I’m fond of the circles too! Her work seems both other worldly yet reassuringly
familiar at the same time. The wall paper I chose for my sitting room is a
challenging design to match with art yet her pictures align perfectly in three
different rooms in the house.
The other artist whose work I have on my walls is in
Glasgow based David Fleck who is inspired by the area where he lives and also
his wider travels. He describes himself as “a visual artist with an
architectural background.” His pictures are densely populated with intricate detail
either featuring stacked up buildings or abstract landscapes. According to his
website his aim is “telling atmospheric and imaginative stories through my
intricate illustrations.” The result is something that looks both modern and
also historical.
I first encountered his work in the Bluecoat Display Centre
in Liverpool city centre, a shop selling art, sculpture, jewellery and prints
from independent artists. I bought a print that is an abstract representation of
Liverpool. Since then, I’ve bought
others, each of which depict cityscapes with buildings appearing to live on top
of each other. This is a small part of his large collection which can be viewed
on his site (address below).His art is also available on a number of similar shops.
An extra reason to choose his work is that his studio and art practice is Net
Zero.
So, if you’re looking for ideas to decorate your walls then
I can highly recommend these two.
NB: For copyright reasons, the pictures in this
post do not show full prints. Visit the websites below to see them in full.
Contact Details:
Basz Design Website: www.baszdesign.co.uk
Also: The Stanley Road Department Store, 54-55
Market Street, BN1 1HH, Brighton
David Fleck Website: www.davidfleck.co.uk
He also has his work on sale in art shops
around the country.




No comments:
Post a Comment